My girlfriend Katie Hacker (who just did a podcast interview with Girlfriendology) invited me (aka: GirlfriendologyToo!) to participate in an ornament round robin with other creative women's sites. (Thanks Katie!)
Last week I visited all the other sites and got great ideas for ornaments and gifts - it was like visiting new creative girlfriends and getting inspiration from them. (Try it! I'm sure you'll get some wonderful ideas!)
For this week's ornament, I have to confess that I'm somewhat a hardware junkie. I don't know why, but I just like crafting with some materials generally used for home repairs or decorating, etc. Again, I've got the flashing out (found in the plumbing section of home improvement stores) and the metal ABC stamps. So here goes ...
GIRLFRIEND ORNAMENT/SUN CATCHER
I cut a small square out of flashing and hammer stamped in some word/wish (Hope, Peace, Love, Joy, Dream - depending on the girlfriend to receive the ornament). Then I sanded it to remove a bit of the shine and add some distressed texture (and to remove any rough edges). I drilled holes in the top and bottom for the wire. Using colored wire and beads, I added adorments and a handle. Pretty simple ornament to make but also very versatile. I gave to some girlfriends last year and they kept them up all year in their offices, windows, bathrooms.
EXTRA ORNAMENT
Okay, so all these creative women kind-of intimidate me! (They're some pretty BIG blog/craft stars in the bunch!) So, I thought I should throw in a bonus ornament to earn inclusion in the group! This is just a simple ornament with coated wire formed into a swirly hanger and then in spirals to form a mini tree. I added metallic plastic beads on thinner coated wire to 'decorate it.' I love how it sparkles in the tree lights!
For more GREAT ORNAMENT IDEAS check out these creative girlfriends and their ornament ideas:
Easy needle-felted orb - Katie Hacker
Christmas cookie - Jennifer Heynen
Christmas tree finger labyrinth - Hali Chambers
Ring in the New Year - Kriss Cramer
Quilty pieced snowman - Linda Augsburg
Simply striking sparkling spheres - Margot Potter
Beaded memory wire - Elaine Luther
Wire & beaded tree - Lynn Kvigne
Jolly and yummy ceramic candy - Melanie Brooks Lukacs
Polymer snowflake embedded in resin - Melissa Lee
Beaded candy canes - Candie Cooper
Polymer clay gift tag/ornament - Heather Powers
Twisted blues - Lampwork Diva aka Cindy Gimbrone
Holiday spiral tree & party pixie - Art Bead Scene
Wire bird's nest - Rebecca Peck
Plush gingerbread doggie - Jenny Harada
Swell ornament - Alexa Westerfield
Holiday paper crafting - Brandy Lung Gill
Shaving cream & chipboard ornament - Michelle McGee
Thanks Katie! Thanks Creative Girlfriends! Have fun!!
Girlfriendology.com - NEW site for all Girlfriendology content, contests, videos, podcasts and more!
We've moved all the content for Girlfriendology from the blogs, podcasts, etc. to Girlfriendology.com. Join us there to get the latest updates, contests, podcasts and more inspiring content. Thanks Girlfriend!
Girlfriendology
Welcome to GirlfriendologyToo! Like Girlfriendology, this site focuses on the inspiration, appreciation and celebration of girlfriends. However, it takes the creative side of girlfriends by offering crafty ideas for making and giving girlfriend gifts and greetings.
Have ideas or samples to share? Please send your stories and comments to ideas@girlfriendology.com. With your permission, we'll publish your girlfriend-inspired creations.
Girlfriends are worth handmade gifts, right? Let's share ideas to make and give the most special gifts and greetings to our favorite female friends!
Have ideas or samples to share? Please send your stories and comments to ideas@girlfriendology.com. With your permission, we'll publish your girlfriend-inspired creations.
Girlfriends are worth handmade gifts, right? Let's share ideas to make and give the most special gifts and greetings to our favorite female friends!
JULY GIRLFRIENDOLOGY CONTEST!
Celebrate your girlfriends with a story for the JULY Girlfriendology Contest! Women are blessed with female friendships. (Sorry guys - we really have a special bond that is amazing!) So, for our JULY Contest, we'd love you to share your story by either submitting a girlfriend story or tell us why you're thankful for your female friends at Girlfriendology or leave us a message (with your email address, please!) at 206-202-9005. You'll be entered in our drawing for prizes (free books!) and also for the Starbucks gift cards and Girlfriendology Journal.
Get in the drawing (actually three times!) for the books also by leaving a review on our iTunes site.
And, we have lots of PRIZES this month! Visit Girlfriendology.com. Sign up for our newsletter and listen to our podcasts for the stories and inspiration others have shared!
Wednesday, December 19, 2007
ORNAMENT #2 - creative girlfriends linking & sharing
Posted by
GirlfriendologyToo
at
2:45 AM
Labels: creative girlfriends, holiday gifts, home decor, Katie Hacker, ornament exchange, podcast
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)













9 comments:
Ms. Debba
Who doesn't love a woman that finds crafty inspiration at the hardware store?! Fabulous ideas!
Pshaw-you're a craft superstar yourself, Missy!
xoxo
Ms. Margot
I love the fact that you used flashing to make these! (The bonus ornament is super-cute, too!!) Happy holidays!
These ideas rock! And so do you!
You're intimidated? Imagine me! Everybody's so creative! And you know I love the hardware store as much as the next crafty chick (I made that copper tubing headboard, after all), so I love that you hit the hardware store for these ornaments. We need to touch base more often, girlfriend!
Great ornaments! I'm a big fan of single words in projects! Merry Christmas!
Nicely done! I love the red wire on the peace one, and the leaf shape of the hope one. cool!
I love what you did with the metal and stamps! And the beaded tree looks right out of Whoville! Merry Christmas!
Love what you've done with the metal flashing! Makes me want to take my tin snips to my roof. Very clever idea!
those flashing ornaments are divine. Very cool.
Post a Comment